Split rings can be a little tricky to work with, but once you get the hang of it, they’re not so bad. Here is what you need to know about learning how to use split ring pliers like a pro.
What Are Split Ring Pliers And What Are They Used For?
Split ring pliers are special tools that are made to open and close split rings. People often use split rings to attach things like keys and jewellery, so split ring pliers come in handy for a lot of everyday tasks.
They look a lot like regular needle-nose pliers, but the tips are made of hardened steel and have a cut-out in the shape of a split ring. This makes it easy for the user to securely hold a split ring’s inside and open or close it as needed. In addition to their practical uses, split ring pliers are great for any DIYer or hobbyist who works with split rings when making beaded jewellery or other light craft projects.
How To Open And Close A Split Ring With Pliers
Opening and closing a split ring with pliers is an essential skill; there are specific steps to follow if you want to use them without damaging the ring.
- Open the jaws of the pliers wide enough so the opening between them can fit the circumference of the entire split ring.
- Carefully insert one half of the ring inside that opening – make sure to get as far down as possible.
- Press down on each side with both prongs at once.
- Apply even pressure and squeeze towards each other until you feel that it’s secure.
- To close, start by gripping just one side until you feel some resistance and shutter of the top portion. Don’t force it or use too much pressure as this might distort its shape.
- Once this side is securely closed, grip the opposite side similarly until there is no gap left between both sides.
Tips For Using Split Ring Pliers Effectively
Split ring pliers are essential for jewellers and those working with small metal components. To ensure that these pliers are used effectively, always use two hands to open the ring; steady pressure should be applied from both sides to maximise your control over splitting the split ring. Also, be sure to check how old your split rings are before using them; if they have been stored for too long, they can become brittle and difficult to manipulate. Finally, oil your split ring pliers after each use to keep them in good condition, so you don’t have to replace them shortly.
Split ring pliers can be a great tool to have in any toolbox, and every jewellery maker knows that a quality set of split ring pliers is worth its weight in gold. With the right knowledge and practice it’s possible to master how to open and close a split ring, and following these tips will help ensure your split ring pliers last as long as possible while still working efficiently.